18.8.13

my summer vacation day seven: the shortbread that nobody wanted but me

the day of reckoning: ribbons, rewards, and regrets.

i was most disappointed to see that my brownies got nothing - even though the kiddo took one bite and said "this is magnificent!" and nor did my shortbread. worse still, there were three entries for shortbread, and no one got third. the ribbons awarded were first, second, and nothing for me. boo hoo! that was my mother's recipe, and it is frankly the best shortbread ever (scroll down for recipe). ah well.

i did get a total of sixteen ribbons though - mostly firsts - so i ought not complain!

non-prize-winning shortbread

1/2 cup soft butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour

cream together butter and sugar. beat till light and fluffy.

fold in flour. work into a log about 1 1/2" in diameter, wrap in waxed paper, and chill until firm.

cut in 3/8" slices, place on lightly greased cookie tray. bake 10 or 12 minutes at 325 f.

n.b. these summer vacation posts are one week delayed as the cottage is delightfully free of electronics!

No comments:

Post a Comment