23.7.23

Another thing finished!

Can never have too many sundresses! This is just freestyled from a 1¾ yards × 45” remnant I got at King Textiles. Zero waste because I barely had enough fabric as it was! 

Black gingham sundress 

Decided to do a different style from what I usually gravitate to. Instead of tailoring details and buttons and topstitching, I went super basic elastic pull-on. I like the final effect, but the elastic was kind of annoying to sew. And I probably ended up spending as much on elastic as I spent on fabric.

I started by figuring out the top front, based on my bust measurement and one dart. The back is a straight rectangle wide enough that once sewn into a tube, I could slide it on an off without needing fasteners. I used 1” wide, non-rolling elastic at the top edge (cased), underbust, and waist for stability. The remaining elastic is ¼” wide regular elastic. All elastic was just triple-zigzagged on. 

For the skirt, I took the remaining fabric, about a yard and a quarter (wish there was just a bit more!) and divided it into four equal strips. One strip I measured into thirds, so I had three strips 45” wide, one 15”, and one 30”. I joined one width with the 15” strip and the other two with the 30” strip, so I had two long pieces—one about 60” and one about 120”. I gathered the longer one onto the shorter one, and the shorter one onto the top. Voila!

Trying and failing to demonstrate the fullness of the skirt while using the camera on timer

Will I wear this a lot? Yes! Will I make another like it? Noooooo 

No comments:

Post a Comment